Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A day at the Doc.

I'd been having lower back problems for a while, like nearly three years. It really hadn't bothered me except for hard efforts in the middle of a long rides or extreme climbs. I really twisted it into some serious pain mid December and I finally had it looked at. Turns out the L5 disc is poking out a bit to the left. Probably did it erecting equipment on my own a couple of years ago setting up the company. No comp. Grrr. So after getting the right attention I started cortisone injections in February. I really didn't feel much of an improvement until last Sunday when I did a 100+ mile solo ride from Canton through the Cuyahoga Valley. There are some decent hills there and I intentionally put the after 70 miles to test out the legs with some distance. I fully expected the back to flair up, but it didn't and didn't really the whole ride as long as I stood up on a regular interval. So, I guess it's working and I went in for the second one today. I think they put more in this time because I felt the swelling and tingling down the left leg. The doctor doing the procedure is a pretty open and progressive guy. Explains everything and listens to everything. He's quite interested in my cycling and has prescribed some exercises to strengthen the muscles around the affected area. I really don't like doctors in general Reasons for another entry some day. But, this doc is very down to earth, and very professional. Good medicine.

I wasn't the only family member getting stuck with needles today. My 20 year old daughter was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at 18. At the time of diagnosis she was a budding musician who at 18 had already played Severance Hall and the Sydney Opera House. She had received scholarships to college and was in line for honors positions in music school. It was becoming too painful to play and she had to stop. Not just from a Dads perspective, but from one that sees the need for youth to rise up to upholding the arts, it was a great loss.

So I can't feel any discomfort or thoughts of my self when I see here taking remicade treatments every six weeks along with injections directly into some of her joints. She has since changed her major to pre-med. She now wants to study and research genetics so that someday others may not have their lives so drastically affected by disease. I love this kid.

I even got a ride in tonight. Just about thirty miles with some pretty good numbers for a rest week. Weather should be good again tomorrow. Being a rest week I probably wont do the team pain session, but will step up the watts a bit if I can break away from work in time.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment